Sunday, November 18, 2007

3 days late

It has been much longer than anticipated.

The first weekend of my anti-tv crusade. It was horrid. I found myself bored a lot of the time, bored enough not to want to read, or write. I would sit there, looking at the ceiling, my mouth open, drool coming out of my mouth. Scratch that. It wasn't that boring.

I have found that now I crave the company of others. I used to be such a loner, content in staying home everyday and only venturing out when I needed too. The movie actors and the video game text were my means of conversation. Now that those are gone, I crave people like a drug. Just listening to others, their words on their lips, is amazing. I don't think I ever listened to anyone. In usual situations, I would sit back and catch enough of the conversation to keep it going, but never paid attention to the inflection in the voice, mannerisms, hand movements, the language used. Conversation. I never realized the importance of words until I listened to someone with my full attention. Beside our clothes, our cars, our haircuts, conversation I believe is what society relies on most to judge another, and is the first step in learning about someone. Perhaps the only step.

I caught myself watching a music video on youtube yesterday. Once I realized, I clicked the X on my web browser. Harder than I thought. Still...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

communication is 93% non-verbal.