Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Errors...

I talked to my teacher today. He said it was a very odd request because my request has never been made before. We are trying to work something out. Right now it seems we are content with me studying in another room until the film is over. I will be reading and studying whatever we would be watching for that class period. So it shouldn't affect my grade.

Today, my mind played whole movie scenes.

Try to test yourself. Now that I have refused television, I have found that throughout the day I relate events happening in my life to movies, sitcoms, or video games. I never realized I did this until I stopped watching television. A conversation may happen and I am reminded of Seinfeld. Sometimes when trying to explain a story, I use scenes or dialogs from Dark City. Remembering parts of my past brings up the television shows I was watching at the time.

I feel like I am stuck in a past that never belonged to me.

Have we lost all sense of who we are? Have we let every pixel we have seen become a part of our consciousness?

Go to a coffee shop or a restaurant and listen to conversations. If you listen long enough, they will talk about a movie, a television show, what they saw on the news that night. Robots repeating everything they see and hear. Have we lost the intelligence to speak directly about how we feel, without bringing up mass televised media?

I was reading that in an average American person, from the time they are born to the time they die, watches approximately 15 years of television.

15 years! During that time, you can master almost anything! You can become a computer genius, a master artist, a decent writer, a great soccer player! Imagine what you have lost. ITS STEALING 15 YEARS OF YOUR LIFE AWAY. Thats 15 years you don't spend with your friends, your family, your pets, your studies. And in turn, 15 years of advertising, canned laughter, false news reports, fear, hate, and racism.

We no longer have parents who raise us. Their values and morals are outdated. We now have FOX, ABC, and NBC telling us the proper way to behave. Instead of our heroes being Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, John Brown, your brother or sister, your grandfather, your best friend; we now look up to characters in movies and the rich people in sitcoms.

Instead of accepting people for who they are and what they look like, we need bigger breasts and larger muscles. Perfect smiles. Bleached white teeth. Unblemished skin.

We never worried much about such things before. People were people. Now we are told they aren't unless they look like the current Hollywood flavor of the week.

No comments: